Restrictions can change regularly, and we'll do our best to keep this page up to date. We cannot be held responsible for the accuracy of the information, so it is important you also check the official sources such as the FCDO Website, The Austrian Tourist Board, and the Austrian Embassy in London.

Travelling to Austria

What are the entry requirements for Austria?

  • Everyone age 16 and up (born before 1 Sep 2006) will need to show proof of full vaccination (2 jabs). In addition, you must also show proof of a booster jab or proof of recovery within 180 days or a negative PCR test taken no more than 72 hours before arrival in Austria.

    If you are not vaccinated, and have had Covid in the past 180 days, you may enter Austria with proof of recovery from Covid and a negative PCR test not more than 72 hours old.

  • 12-15 year-olds (born after 1 Sep 2006) are permitted entry under the "holiday ninja pass" will need to show a negative PCR test result taken within 72 hours before travel.

  • 0-11 year-olds do not require a test or proof of vaccination as long as they are travelling with a fully-vaccinated adult.

  • Unvaccinated 12-15 year-olds travelling via Germany (Munich, Memmingen, Friedrichshavn): Entry to Germany is only permitted to those who are fully vaccinated. However as you are transiting to Austria you will be permitted entry, even if you are not fully vaccinated. Please be prepared to show your booking confirmation and transfer vouchers that prove you are travelling directly to Austria. You will also be required to prove that you meet the entry requirements for Austria, so have your negative test results ready to show. Further information is available from the German Consulate and the FCDO Travel Advice.

How do I show proof of vaccination?

The NHS app is accepted as proof of vaccination in Austria and across the EU.

If you cannot download the NHS app or access the NHS website, you can call 119 in the UK and ask for a letter about your vaccination status, which you will be sent by post.

More information can be seen on the Gov website. If you live in Scotland please visit the Scottish Government website.

How do I show proof of a negative test for entry into Austria?

Self-administered NHS tests are not accepted, so you’ll need to pre-book with an approved Covid testing provider. These are available through the governm2ent’s list of approved suppliers.

Do I need to complete any forms before I go?

No forms are required for Austria.

If you’re travelling via Zurich (Switzerland) you’ll also need to fill out the online Swiss Entry Form up to 48 hours before your flight arrives in Geneva. Children aged under 18 can be included on an adult’s form.

Make sure you select ‘transit only’ when asked where you’re staying in Switzerland. After completing this entry form you’ll get a QR code to show on your smartphone at border control, or you can print a copy.

You’ll need to complete another form before your transfer from the resort back to Geneva Airport in Switzerland.

While you’re on holiday in Austria

Is a Covid pass needed in Austria?

Austria currently has its 3G rules in place, which mean you will need to provide proof of vaccination, proof of a negative test or recovery from Covid within 180 days in order to access facilities such as hotels, restaurants, bars and ski lifts.

Children aged 11 and under are exempt from the 3G rules.

Are masks required?

Everyone aged 6 and over must wear an FFP2 face mask in enclosed public spaces, such as shops, restaurants, public transport and ski lifts. You’ll need to wear this as soon as you land in Austria, so make sure you buy and pack them before you set off for your holiday.

Are there any restrictions when skiing?

You will need to meet the 3G rules in order to access the ski lifts. There may be checks on the mountain, so it’s sensible to keep a vaccination certificate (or negative test result for a child) along with a photo of your passport with you to prevent any potential issues.

On 5 March, almost all Covid restrictions will be lifted (other than mask wearing). This means that apres-ski will be able to go ahead in March.

Remember that if you plan on skiing over the border to another country, as is possible in some resorts, you will need to comply with the local restrictions for that country too.

Did this answer your question?